Thought about introducing a new section to this block. A section on movie notes. My little post-movie review. So here is the first of the many (hopefully) to come.
The trailer opens with Sylvester Stallone talking about his new movie. Not that it needs any talking about. With a star cast which reads a Who's who of Hollywood's best retired action stars (mostly), it is like any fan's dream come true.
Stallone, Schwarznegger, Willis, Statham, Jet Li, Van Damme, Lundgren and above all Chuck Norris. This lineup doesn't really need any story to carry it. The heavy duty star cast carries the bare minimum plot line successfully.
There are some standout moments even in this action mish-mash. They may have grown old, a little wrinkly, some slower reflexes but they certainly don't lack wit. The best part of the movie is the way these "stars" sportingly parody themselves. Examples
- Chuck Norris sharing a Chuck Norris fact.
- Willis telling off Arnold on hearing his "I'll be back" to which Arnold replies "Yippie ka yay".
- Stallone comments that an aircraft belongs to the museum. To which Arnold responds, "So Do We".
- Van Damme's army needs the combined forces of Arnold, Stallone & Willis to be stopped in their sinister designs. (Hence van Damme is the greatest super-villain of all time)
- Liam Hemsworth gets assigned the Mickey Rourke part of the emotional back-story, but is not able to deliver to that extent.
So in short, movie has lots of nostalgia, light on story, fast paced, self-parodying stars and just the touch of humour. It gives the feel of a vintage car rally. A movie made for fans and not for critics. A perfect Sunday morning entertainer.
Looking forward to the next installment.