Thursday, August 13, 2026

Bees Saal Baad!

13th August 2006
In the wee hours of one rainy night, sitting in the hostel room, exactly 20 years ago, this blog came into existence with the following

Why am I doing this?
Why did I start this blog?
Will anyone ever read this?
Do I really care if anyone reads this at all?
Why do I want to share my thoughts with the world?

The answer to all the above questions...
...simply, I dont know. I am not sure of the answers but it...
maybe I am doing this because its the latest fad.
or maybe I want an outlet for my feelings
or maybe I want another connection with the outside world

Or maybe at 1 A.M on a Saturday (actually Sunday) night I couldnt find anything better to do...so started a blog

Well, with these confused thoughts, I have made a beginning. I do not know where this journey is going to take me. I do not know what the destination is, I dont even know the route. But as its said "A Journey of a Thousand Miles Begins with a Single Step".....This is my first step.

That first tentative step has been followed by a few more (more than 500 in fact). A journey which has lasted 20 years now. Just how old is this blog - to give a perspective, in 2006, Orkut (now defunct) was the social media rage, Facebook was still not available outside campuses, Twitter (now X) did not exist, Chatting medium were Yahoo Messenger & GTalk, not WhatsApp, internet was still more text dominated, unlike its more visual avatar now, and still dominated by computer rather than mobile! It pre-dates amongst other things - iPhone, Instagram, streaming services! In short, in tech terms - quite old! And despite all the changes, this blog trundled on!

To be honest, I still do not have the answers to the questions raised in the very first post. The posts themselves have evolved over time - random, cricket, few personal incidents, movies, to now - books (just me showing off), India's roads to the Olympics (in itself a long journey and not just once-in-four-years-event), year-end lists (TYIL & others) and the annual Independence Day post. Reading back, some of the posts are quite weird & cringe-worthy, but I guess that part of growing up as well!

And across this journey of 500+ posts over 20 years, there is also a realization that the blog was never for an audience but just for myself! Here is to the unscripted route and wherever it goes next!!!

No comments: